Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Not friends until Facebook friends

I recently became aquatinted with Kate. She and I met through the usual social functions of church meetings, dessert nights, and apartment marshmallow wars that surround student life at BYU. Our friendship has developed steadily over the past few weeks and I always look forward to our small talk. The other evening Kate and I were discussing odds and ends of current events. During the conversation our topic shifted to Facebook. We realized that neither of us knew if we had declared ourselves as friends on Facebook. Personally, whether or not our Facebook pages had declared reciprocating friendship was of little interest to me, but Kate seemed taken back. She promised me that once she arrived home, later that evening, she would check and make sure we were friends! I remember feeling an awkward void in that moment, that kind of distant feeling you get when you're talking with someone you know, but you cannot remember their name. Kate and I had come to the realization that our relationship had connected on a personal level but there was doubt where we stood on a technological level. I could not believe it. I was experiencing a sense of uncertainty due to a fictitious means of connecting with somebody electronically! To make a long matter short, Kate went home, made sure we were Facebook friends, and neither of us have discussed the issue further. I definitely do not remember reading in Facebook's "Terms of Use" about no longer being able to create full and meaningful relationships on my own once I signed up, but if there is such wording next time, I'm going to click "cancel" instead of "I agree."

1 comment: