Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Copyright

I'm imagining a world without copyright laws. I've completed my magnum opus–a rock n' roll album. I released the album to several distributors and I am waiting for revenue to start rolling in. But the big bucks will never come. After a few thousand purchases, the sales of my album drop despite its number-one spot on music charts. Instead of purchasing the album, fans are downloading and sharing my work for free on the Internet. In the end I hardly cover the production cost of the album. In the real world, a world with copyright laws, my album would be able to make a profit. Extremists are motioning there is no need to copyright anymore, and copyrighting itself stifles creativity. However, copyrights create money. Part of the fuel behind creativity is compensation for a job well done. Without the income that copyrighting creates, I would be less motivated to produce a high quality version of my album.

1 comment: